Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Mother's Day??

Well...Mother's Day was a little bit of Déjà vu. Not a good Déjà vu, but more like a "I'm in the hospital because I can't stop throwing up" kinda Déjà vu. It started Wednesday night with my usual routine: I ate dinner and then threw-up, but then I threw up again...and again...I slept a bit...and then threw-up again. You get the picture. This same thing happened with Brooks, so I knew it wasn't going to stop. My condition is labeled as:
"Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of morning sickness, with "unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids."[1] Hyperemesis is considered a rare complication of pregnancy...Estimates of the percentage of pregnant women afflicted range from 0.3% to 2.0%." Basically, I start a violent cycle and I can't stop until I get enough fluids in my body. Chad took me in Thursday morning about 8:00 and we stayed in the ER until about 12:00. I got a bag of fluids and was finally able to eat some Jello. I was feeling better, so they sent me home. I walked in the door and went straight to the bathroom to throw up. Uh-oh. The cycle was not over. I throw up a bit more and tried to keep some Sprite down, but nothing was working. I decided to drive myself in again. This time I was even throwing up with my IV. I was feeling pretty awful. They decided to admit me because after one bag of fluids I was still sick. They moved me to the woman's center wing and I got a more comfortable room and more fluids. They pumped my veins all night long while I tried to get some sleep. I was finally released Friday afternoon about 4:00 after being able to eat some Jello and chicken broth. My mom and Mark came down Friday night (as originally planned) so we could spend Mother's Day together. Well, I don't think I left the couch on Saturday. My mom did everything! I threw up once at night, but that's normal. On Sunday I got up a little bit, but I was still pretty weak and not eating much. Chad was going out of town for the week, so my mom decided to stay to make sure I had time to recover and to help out with Brooks. I am so thankful that she was able to do that for me. I came home from work everyday and crashed while she cooked, cleaned and took care of Brooks. Mother's Day wasn't a big party or anything this year...but I sure did have plenty of time with my mama. Thanks, Mom - You're the best!

Just so you don't think she did it all of me...

...Brooks and Gammy had plenty of time to hang out!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick. I hope it doesn't happen again and that you will start to get your feet back under you so that you feel good again. Thank goodness your mom was able to come help. Nothing is better than having your Mom around when you feel bad.